Work Area 3
Forest Ecosystem Management
Work Area 3 is related to creating natural science-based knowledge on forests in the context of sustainable forest management and to conduct international high-level research by expanded collaboration among EFICEEC partners.
These issues shall be realized both by documenting and harmonizing existing methods, tools, and data under a shared networking umbrella and catalysing new common research on forest ecosystem management orbiting three main topical areas for the first period:
Sustainable management of forest resources under changing environmental and societal conditions
- Frame conditions for bio-energy production from forest resources
- Forest transformation and restoration, calamity management
- Silvicultural concepts for the 21st century
- Monitoring, maintaining, and managing forest biodiversity
- Forest management impact on soil and water protection
Modelling and decision-support for sustainable forest management
in the Central and Eastern European (CEE) region
- Urban, coppice and mountainous forests in CEE
- Decision-support and trade-off analysis for sustainable forest management.
Work Area leader
Dr. Bernhard Wolfslehner